Understanding Land Grants from Lord Granville
by David McCorkle
Wednesday, January 5, 2022 at 7:00PM
From 1748 to 1776, all new land in the upper half of North Carolina (which included all of old Orange County) had to be obtained from Lord Granville instead of the King of England. Please join us ONLINE on Wednesday, January 5 at 7:00 PM to hear David McCorkle, land grant specialist, present “Understanding Land Grants from Lord Granville”. Vacant land in North Carolina was allocated by the 8 Lords Proprietors from its founding in 1663 until 1729 when 7 of them sold their rights back to the King. Lord Granville declined to sell his portion, resulting in the unusual situation where he controlled half of the land allocation in North Carolina while the King controlled the rest. This not only impacted North Carolina politics and history, but also the methods needed to find your ancestor's land. And, to top it off, you'll hear about scandals, corruption, skullduggery (literally), kidnapping, and even armed conflicts!
IMPORTANT - this meeting will be conducted ONLINE ONLY. We will resume our hybrid in-person/online meeting in February.
Videos of D-OGS Meetings are now online!
We have added a new section on the members-only portion of this website with videos of meetings starting in the Fall of 2020, along with a few older ones that were on YouTube. Our plan is record all meetings going forward for members to view, but note that some speakers will not allow us to record and as expected there are sometime technical problems. Here is the list of recordings available now.
- A British View of the American Revolution, presented by Dr. Hugh Dussek, November 4, 2020
- D-OGS 2020 Annual Meeting, NC Research Help, and Trivia Quiz! Held December 3, 2020
- Family Legends and Stories: What to Believe, presented by Ken Thomas, February 3, 2021
- Making English Connections, presented by Bob Dawes, April 14, 2021
- Member Show-and-Tell for 2016, held August 3, 2016
- Planting Roots: Building Online Family Trees and GPS-ing Family Graves, presented by Taneya Y. Koonce, June 2, 2021
- Preserving Your Family Documents, presented by Jennifer Blomberg, November 2, 2016
- Tales from a Genealogy Volunteer, presented by Reece Jones, February 1, 2017
- Using City Directories as a Genealogical Aid, presented by Jeff Houser, March 3, 2021
- Using the State Archives of NC Discover Online Catalog (DOC), presented by Lauren Murphree, October 7, 2020