Researching Military History
by Monika and Martin Fleming
Wednesday, October 6, 2021 at 7:00 PM
D-OGS is more than happy to announce that we are continuing with in-person free meetings for the public as well as making them available via Zoom for D-OGS members who cannot attend.
Military records are a great source of genealogical information. Please join us on Wednesday, October 6 at 7:00 PM at the OWASA Community Center, 400 Jones Ferry Rd, Carrboro, OR ONLINE via Zoom, to hear Monika and Martin Fleming present “Researching Military Records”. This presentation includes information on military records for Korea, WWII, WWI, Spanish American War, and Civil War. The speakers will share examples of the types of records found and where they are available online and from government agencies.
Please see our Events Page
for more information
Videos of D-OGS Meetings are now online!
We have added a new section on the members-only portion of this website with videos of meetings starting in the Fall of 2020, along with a few older ones that were on YouTube. Our plan is record all meetings going forward for members to view, but note that some speakers will not allow us to record and as expected there are sometime technical problems. Here is the list of recordings available now.
- A British View of the American Revolution, presented by Dr. Hugh Dussek, November 4, 2020
- D-OGS 2020 Annual Meeting, NC Research Help, and Trivia Quiz! Held December 3, 2020
- Family Legends and Stories: What to Believe, presented by Ken Thomas, February 3, 2021
- Making English Connections, presented by Bob Dawes, April 14, 2021
- Member Show-and-Tell for 2016, held August 3, 2016
- Planting Roots: Building Online Family Trees and GPS-ing Family Graves, presented by Taneya Y. Koonce, June 2, 2021
- Preserving Your Family Documents, presented by Jennifer Blomberg, November 2, 2016
- Tales from a Genealogy Volunteer, presented by Reece Jones, February 1, 2017
- Using City Directories as a Genealogical Aid, presented by Jeff Houser, March 3, 2021
- Using the State Archives of NC Discover Online Catalog (DOC), presented by Lauren Murphree, October 7, 2020